Parent Guide to Home Learning
Frequently Asked Questions:
My child can't edit the word document in the assignment on the Teams app.
1. You will need to download the Word app from the app store. This app is free to download and if you are asked to sign in, use the same email address and password that you used for Teams.
2. When opening the Word document in the Teams app, click on this button (shown below) in the top right hand corner of the screen and it will open up in the Word app where it will be editable. This document will save automatically into Teams.
My child can't edit the word document in Teams via the internet browser /
desktop app / a Chromebook.
When opening the Word document in Teams via an internet browser (Chrome), the Word document will open within Teams.
Click the 'Edit Document' button in the top left hand corner (shown below in the yellow box) You then have the option to either edit within Teams or open the document in the Desktop app. Both will save automatically into Teams.
Instead of opening the document in Teams, click on the three dots '...' circled in green below. You have the option to select which version of Word you open the document in but you also have the option to download the document. If you choose to download, you can edit the document in Word but you will have to upload the document as an additional resource when turning in work if you do this because this option will not save automatically.
(See question 'How do I upload a picture or additional resource when turning in work?' for instructions explaining how to do this)
The word document is scrambled/text is overlapping when I click on the assignment and looks like this:
If you are using an iPad/Apple device, see query 'My child can't edit the word document in the assignment on the Teams app' and follow those instructions.
If you are using a laptop/browser, see query 'My child can't edit the word document in Teams via the internet browser/desktop app.' and follow those instructions.
When I log into Office 365 on an iPad/Apple device and click on Teams, it won't load and and I keep seeing this message:
1. You will need to log into Office 365 via Chrome, not Safari.
If you don't have the Chrome app on your device, you can download it for free. If you are using a Mac Book, you should now be able to access teams straight away through Chrome.
1. Firstly, you will need to log into Office 365 via Chrome, not Safari. If you don't have the Chrome app on your device, you can download it from the app store for free.
2. Log in with you the same email and password you were sent using this link www.office.com and choose the Teams icon on the left hand column of the screen circled in yellow below.
3. Click the three dots '...' in the top right hand corner of the screen circled in yellow below.
4. Scroll down the menu that appears and select 'Request Desktop Site' circles in red below:
5. You will now be able to access the desktop site version of Teams.
You will also be able to view all videos set as part of assignments using this site as well.
My child can't view the teaching video on the Teams app.
If this problem happens, please log into Teams via Chrome using the browser version where you will be able to view the video. (Follow all instructions/pictures above for query: 'When I log into Office 365 on an iPad/Apple device and click on Teams, it won't load and and I keep seeing this message')
I cannot find my child's log in details.
You will have received the Teams log in details for your child via email. If you have not received this, please check any other email addresses you may have provided the school with as it may have been sent to a different account. Please email your child's year group email address if you are unable to find the details in any of your inboxes and they will get back to you.
I am not sure how to access and complete the assignment.
I am not sure how to upload additional photos/documents when turning in work.
This video explains how to access, edit, complete, turn in and upload photos (if required) for assignments.
Laptop or internet browser (Chrome) Video:
I am not sure how to access and complete the assignment using an iPad.
This video explains how to access, edit, complete and turn in assignments.
To add a photo with your assignment, click '+ Add Work' and upload photos straight from your device.
I am not sure how join the live Teams class meeting.
Once logged into Teams, your child will have a notification in the 'Activity' section where they can click and join their class meeting scheduled for this week. Alternatively, the meeting can be found in the 'Calendar' section of Teams. Click on the meeting and select 'Join'. Your child will be admitted into the meeting by their teacher.
Additional teams Support:
This was the link sent to you yesterday with the log in details which takes you to a Digital Learning Hub. It has videos and information for support with Teams and is a really helpful resource with sections specifically for parents and students included.
Translating Class Dojo Posts
Support for EYFS parents uploading annotated photos and videos using the Evidence Me app.