Admission Criteria for the Rainbow One and Rainbow Two at Mayplace Primary School.
Referrals for admission are from the Local Authority through the school being a named school on the child's EHC plan. The referrals are considered by the Head Teacher and Inclusion Leader at Mayplace to ensure that the following criteria are met.
Age Range: Reception through to the end of Year 6.
- All pupils will have a Statement of Educational Needs or EHC Plan
- There must be a clear medical diagnosis of Autism.
- Primary need must clearly be AS.
- Pupil’s performance in English should indicate potential to achieve within the range P7-Band 1 at KS1 and P8 –Band 3 at KS2.
- Formal and informal assessments indicate that pupils at a pre- school age are working within the ‘broadly average range’ e.g. making recognisable vocalisations suggesting the emergence of communicative intent; engaging with their environment; retaining information.
- Pupils will have the ability to verbally communicate without the need of communication aids, although may still need support and programmes devised by a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)- delivered by trained Teaching Assistants.
- Pupils for whom their Autism is a significant barrier to their performance, and whose learning difficulties cannot be met entirely from resources available to and in a mainstream school.
Refusal of Admission
- The agreed number of funded places by the Local Authority is fully subscribed and admitting children over this number would be incompatible with the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of resources.
- There is insufficient evidence of a clear diagnosis of Autism e.g. where it is reported ‘there are autistic traits.’
- There is evidence of moderate, severe or complex learning difficulties in addition to Autism.
- The admission of a pupil would compromise the health and safety of the pupils and/or staff within the School or would compromise or disrupt the education of pupils already in attendance.
- Siblings are not automatically admitted.